Cushman High School’s First Band Performance of the 2021-2022 School Year

Liam Guillen, HS Correspondent

On the morning of November 1, 2021, members of the Cushman High School’s band classes and club preformed a setlist of pop rock songs for Mrs. Ruth Greenfield, a former Cushman School student. Mrs. Ruth Greenfield began to attend The Cushman School in 1929, five years after its opening. Afterwards, she went on to become a concert pianist and opened a music school in Miami that became known as the first music school to accept students of all races, religions, and ethnic backgrounds. The school also featured solo performances from a few talented students who sang and played some classical musical pieces. After solo performances, the school’s beginner band class played “Should I Stay or Should I Go?” by The Clash, followed by the Cushman School’s intermediate band class’s performance of “Louie Louie” by The Kingsmen, and “Somebody’s Watching Me” by Rockwell.
Unfortunately, the performance was cut short as Mrs. Greenfield was experiencing low blood pressure due to the heat.
The band members packed up at about 12:40 that afternoon and Mrs. Greenfield was taken to the hospital. Shortly after our departure, however, Mrs. Greenfield began to feel better and was able to go home that same day and play piano, as she had done almost everyday before.